DISCLAIMER

This site is intended to track and measure our progress as we embark on this homeschooling journey. I'm not a teacher. I'm not an educator. I'm a stay at home mom with an engineer/math background. We are modeling our homeschool style after the Montessori method, but will probably use many different curriculums until we figure out what works best for us.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Week 6

 

Exciting news!!!! 

 
Before we get to our regularly scheduled program, I just wanted to tell you about some new features to this blog.

First of all, if you notice on the right hand side you'll see this:

 
So now you can easily find my boards on Pinterest!
 
And secondly, if you *hover* your mouse over ANY picture, you will see this lovely little "Pin it" button appear so that you can Pin something you see on my site!
 
 
 
Ok, now that I've got my blog all snazzy with Pinterest buttons, let me show you what we've been up to.
 
The "school" room in our house needed a little bit of organizing and simplifying.  I found some great shelves at the local Salvation Army and bought a bunch of plastic tubs to store toys/materials that we aren't using right now.  I also added a mirror in the far corner for when she plays dress up.  I have a few more ideas for the walls, but for now I'll keep them plain.  I also really like having the open space in the middle.  Gives her plenty of room to work or play.
 
***
 
 
This flashlight activity came from the eBook: 
 
It is a little over 500 pages and definitely worth the $10.95
You can purchase it HERE
 
I have read the entire thing, front to back, and have highlighted SEVERAL activities to do.
 
Emma really liked this flashlight activity.  She had it put together in no time at all.  I didn't even let her see me take it apart to start with, just handed her the tray with the pieces on it and asked her if she knew how to put it together.  Sure enough, all put back together and working!  Little stinker even put the batteries in the correct way.  Though, this was merely by chance.  When I asked her if she knew that they went in that way, she said no.  But hey, it was a good guess!
 
***
 
 
Emma LOVES to button things.  PJ's, shirts, jackets, jeans, you name it, if it has a button, she'll button it.  So I came up with this colorful little button game.  I cut out different shapes from our felt stash and sewed color coordinated buttons to a long piece of ribbon.  Great for working those fine motor skills!
 
***
 
 
Another fine motor skills activity I found in the eBook is place marbles on golf tees.  I think her favorite part is getting to use the rubber mallet to pound the tees into the foam brick.
 
***
 
And the last fine motor skill activity we did this week, included slicing up her banana for snack time.  She did great.  I was nervous at first because I wasn't sure how she'd be with a pairing knife.  But she did great and still has all 10 fingers!
 
***
 
I've been encouraging her to do more for herself in the kitchen.  Even though she's only 3 years old, she can confidently make herself breakfast and a snack.

 
She can be somewhat of a picky eater, but I've found that is SHE prepares the food, she tends to eat every last bit!
 
***
 
 
I've been keeping Brooklyn busy too!  I made this little "Peek A Boo" game for her to find the disappearing egg.  Her face was so funny when the egg would hide from her below the purple paper.  Then when it rolled back out, she was like, "Did you SEE that!?!"
 
***
 
 
I've also started introducing her to shapes.  I make a tray of objects of the same shape and let her hold them, throw them, chew on them, slobber on them, etc.   It's an easy fun way to learn what a sphere (cube, prism, cylinder, etc) is.
 
***
 
 
Couldn't go through the week without a science experiment!  Since she's so crazy about the chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda, I thought I'd try this Mom's idea of blowing up a balloon using those two ingredients.  She blogs about it HERE.
 
We made about 5 balloons that afternoon!  Emma could not get enough of it!
 
***
 
And lastly, our big craft project for the week:
My friend Aimee sent me THIS LINK so we could make our own Rocket Fueled Jet Pack.
 
Emma thought it was beyond cool!
 
Hope you all have a great weekend!
 
Thank you for all your comments on last week's blog!  Please feel free to continue leaving me lots and lots of encouragement.  =D
 

3 comments:

alisa said...

Love that you are teaching her how to do things for her self!! looks like she can slice like a pro!

Unknown said...

I love watching this blog...I'm even learning from it!

Wacky Woman said...

What a good Mommy! My 17-year old granddaughter went to a Montesorrie school in Japan and it was perfect for her. However, the 15 year old would never stay inside the box. Still doesn't. LIke me, she has NO left brain. Nada.