DISCLAIMER

This site is intended to track and measure our progress as we embark on this homeschooling journey. I'm not a teacher. I'm not an educator. I'm a stay at home mom with an engineer/math background. We are modeling our homeschool style after the Montessori method, but will probably use many different curriculums until we figure out what works best for us.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Week 7

This week we did a lot of Fine Motor Skills and my favorite subject:
 
MATH!
 
***
When we decided to homeschool Emma 7 weeks ago, I told Brian that I really wanted to teach her about everything.  Not just stuff she would learn in a school setting, but things outside of the standard curriculum.  So this week, we did a lesson on how to properly set a table!
 
I just used an old, plastic placemat that we'd had in a drawer for YEARS and outlined each component.  Then let her "put the puzzle" together.  She loved it, thought it was a game actually.  And now she knows how to set a table.
 
***
 We scored some great finds at Joann's this past week.  They had a ton of stuff on clearance.
 
Like these "dot" markers.  I'm not really sure if they are for playing Bingo or what, but we used them to put dots on Alphabets.  I found the template for each letter at this BLOG.
I love her blog!  So many great ideas!!!
 
***
 
We also picked up some felt buttons and a plastic darning needle.  Since I've been crocheting a lot lately, Emma has wanted to "sew" as well.  I figured this was a great way to introduce her to needle work.  It's also great for those fine motor skills AND working on concentration.
 
***

One last fine motor skill activity has to do with using tongs to pick up small objects and place them in a new container.  I used the same color but different shapes of beads and asked her to separate them into like groups and place each shape in a different bowl. 
 
At first she was really frustrated with this.  The tongs are a little too big for her hands to manage and the shapes kept popping out of her grasp.  I've been trying to find a smaller set of tongs, like the ones you use for ice cubes.  But I'm really proud of her for sticking with this activity, even though she was aggravated.
 
***

This girl LOVES puzzles.  Of any kind.  And when I found this parquetry blocks set with puzzle cards, I figured she'd love it.  She spends most of her free/play time doing these. 
 
***

So when I decided to start in on some math lessons, I knew this Binomial Cube puzzle, a Montessori product, would be a HUGE hit.
 
For now, all I ask her to do is to put the pieces together so they fit in the box.  Later on, I will be able to use this neat little puzzle to concretely explain the Binomial Theorem:
 
This picture explains what each cube represents:
 
 
Oh I can't wait to show her this stuff! 
 
Since I wasn't sure where they left off with the math at her preschool, I decided to just start at the beginning. 

I purchased a few things from https://www.montessorioutlet.com/ to help me.
 
And used the tutorials found on this blog:
 
TONS of great videos to follow on that site.  It's been incredibly helpful!

I even purchased a few extra sets of beads so that we could add/subtract/multiply/divide large quantities!
 
(Can you tell I'm TOTALLY geeking out over this stuff!)
 

After doing a few lessons with Emma, I realized she learned quite a bit from the teachers at preschool and we've been FLYING through the fundamentals!

She does very well with this activity.  I wish I would have video-taped her explaining how she uses the bead stairs to do these math problems to Brian.  It. Was. Awesome.
 
I think my little girl might be taking after me in her love for math!
 
***
 
And last but not least, we've transformed our living room into a small town.  Complete with roads, a railroad track, a helicopter pad (not picture - it's on the far left of the top photo, but must have been cropped out), a parking garage, and the stepping stones have been imagined into stores.  I let her decide what stores were in her town.  And so far she's come up with:
Target
Grocery Store
Lowes
Joann's
 
Hmmmm.... can you tell where we shop most of the times?
bahwhahhah
 
***
If you have a minute to leave your opinion, I'd be interested to hear how you would handle the summer months. 
 
Meaning, should I completely take a break from planned activities or should I just back off and not do so many?  Or do you have other suggestions? 
 
Please leave comments below and let me know.
 
Thank you thank you thank you!
 
***
 
And here's a cute video of Brooklyn laughing at Emma faking hiccups:
So stinkin cute!
 
Have a great weekend everyone!
Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! So many great ideas!

As for summer time, I'd just follow Emma's lead. If she's requesting activity type stuff, then have a few things ready to go. And if she just wants to play, then let her enjoy her summer vacation.

You are doing a great job Bev! So proud of you!!!
XoXo
Julie

Wacky Woman said...

So fun. Get her an abbacus (sp?) she will love it.

Anonymous said...

Emma is definitely following in your foot steps. I would let Emma decide on how the summer goes. Brooklyn is getting so big and changing so much. Give the girls a hug for me. Love mom