"Education is not the filling of a pail,
but the lighting of a fire."
-William Butler Yeats-
***
SCIENCE
This week's science lesson was all about osmosis.
I absolutely love the top middle picture. Getting to see that moment of wonder on her face is incredible.
She was so into this experiment. When I let her drop the egg that had not sat in vinegar for 2 days, she said, "Are you serious??"
I said, "Go ahead. See what happens when you drop it."
She giggled and said, "Oookay."
Drops it. It cracks and oozes out the yolk.
Then I said, "Okay, now drop the other egg."
She giggled again, expecting it to crack. Instead it BOUNCED right out of the bowl and onto the table!
I didn't catch it on camera, but the look of shock on her face was hilarious.
Then she repeated that a couple of times. Until she decided to see just how high she could drop it. Then it broke.
Our egg fun was over.
But overall she thought this experiment was pretty cool!
***
PRACTICAL LIFE
I love this age where "chores" are fun. So while I was giving Brooklyn a bath, Emma learned a very practical lesson of how to clean windows! My shower sparkles now.
***
BATH FUN
It's not all work and no play around here. I had an extra pool noodle just lying around. So I made it into a basketball hoop for the tub!
***
MYSTERY BASKET
To keep Brooklyn entertained, I usually give her a basket of random objects and let her explore. She loves digging everything out, then putting it all back in. And repeat.
***
COOKING
We made potato mice from this awesome mom-kid cookbook:
Oh she thought this was just the greatest! And when she was eating her "mice" she kept saying,
"I'm sorry mouse, but now I'm going to eat your nose/eyes/ears/etc"
So cute.
***
FIELD TRIP:
Natural History Museum
in
Los Angeles
I thought since Emma is SO into dinosaurs we'd go check them out at the museum!
Even Brooklyn enjoyed it! She stayed awake the whole time. Just taking it all in.
And as we were leaving Emma asked if she could get a dinosaur claw. Silly mommy bought a dinosaur tooth instead, but as you can tell, she's still pretty happy with it.
Perhaps we'll just have to go back and get a dinosaur claw.
And apparently a dinosaur must have came home with us. Because the next morning, we found dino tracks outsides Emma's bedroom and down the hallway!
So Emma went around the house on a dino hunt. She kept saying, "Here T-Rex. I'm not going to hurt you. Want to come play with me?"
About the cutest thing ever.
With her love of facts, we decided to make us some "Fact Folders" to keep it all straight. We currently have made a T-Rex folder and a Triceratops folder. Lucky for me, the internet has all the information we need at the click of a button. Because I have/had very little knowledge of dinosaurs... well that was until about a week ago. Emma is making sure she changes that.
***
RUBIK'S CUBE
I found this awesome soft Rubik's cube at Toys R Us today and had to get it for Brooklyn... okay, okay... partly for myself!
I love it. It actually moves like a real Rubik's cube. Won't be long before she is challenging her Uncle Aaron to see who can solve it the fastest!
***
READING
Ever since the girls were born, we have read to them.
Constantly.
Almost nonstop.
Most of the time they are kids books with lots of pictures. Occasionally, they have been books that I or Brian wanted to read and they happened to be sitting on our laps, so we would just read out loud.
I don't think it really matters (within reason of course) what you read to your kids, just that you are reading to them and with them. It really helps build their vocabulary and get a good understanding of the English language, both written and spoken.
I also think it's important for them to see US reading for fun.
I shared this photo with my mom and thought it would be good to put on here as well.
What a difference in reading 1 minute a day versus 20 minutes a day. I found the photo on this homeschooling blog and really loved her viewpoint on reading as well.
***
So that brings me to our
SUMMER PROJECT:
Books that have been made into movies reading series.
After we finish the reading part we will have a slumber party in the living room (with lots of popcorn) and watch the movie of that book.
Our first one we did backwards.
We watched the movie, The Crood's
THEN read the book.
She liked both of them. And with this story not being familiar, I actually think it helped that she'd seen the movie first. Accidental success.
And our second book is working out that way too.
She wanted to read Charlotte's Web and we've already watched the movie. But I love that she wants to read the book. So we are on chapter 4.
Our next book (hopefully she'll let me pick this one... heheehh) will be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. (Thank you Doug for your suggestion!) And I have the original version of this movie on DVD. Which she has NOT seen.
So what other book/movie combinations would you recommend?
I have the following on our shelves and imagine these will take us to about the middle of the summer.
If you have time to leave a suggestion in the comment section for other books I could add to our list, I'd greatly appreciate it.
And it would help me answer my friend Megan's question too of what book/movie combination to read. :)
Thank you!!!
Hope you all have a great week!















4 comments:
Love the bouncing egg. I suggest the book Matilda because it reminds me of you and now Emma. Always love reading your post. Love mom
My granddaughter Madeline liked non-animated movies at Emma's age. Her favorite was Wizard of Oz. I love that you are doing home schooling.
Since emma is so advanced. I suggest a little princess. This book has stuck with me my entire life. I cry every time. And i believe this book has some solid core lessons in it. And with emma already being as nurturing as she is i think she would like it.
Great blog! Love all these activities!
Where the red fern grows.
(Perhaps why im such an avid animal lover)
Post a Comment