DISCLAIMER

This site is intended to track and measure our progress as we embark on this homeschooling journey. I'm not a teacher. I'm not an educator. I'm a stay at home mom with an engineer/math background. We are modeling our homeschool style after the Montessori method, but will probably use many different curriculums until we figure out what works best for us.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Week 8

Emma wants to know if you like her new "look"?
 
heheheh
 
***
 
PRACTICAL LIFE
 
This week's Practical Life activity was learning how to polish and sort silverware!
 
I didn't want to use any sort of harmful polish so I searched online and found a very easy solution.
 
1.  Line your sink with aluminum foil
2.  Pour boiling hot water in and add about 1 cup of baking soda
3.  Let your silverware soak for at least 30 min
4.  Rinse and polish with a clean rag
 
Super easy.  We didn't have a lot of tarnish so ours came off without much effort.
 
Emma enjoyed sorting more so than polishing... can't say that I blame her.  But she did great, even with Brooklyn looking over her shoulder.
 
***
 
STORY TIME
Oh how we love to read in this house.  And do crafts.  So what better combination than felt board stories!  We've now added "The Napping House" and "Polar Bear, Polar Bear" to our collection of felt story pieces.
 
Emma loves this.  She happily will read to Brooklyn if it's a book she can play with the felt pieces!
 
I love that Emma will grab a book and go lay on the couch to read.  I can't think of a better way to spend the afternoon and apparently, she can't either.
 
Her recent topic of interest has been dinosaurs!

I found these little plastic guys in the $1 aisle at Target.  Which is great because these were the same kinds that she made flashcards from.  Here's the video of that, incase you didn't see our family blog post.
 
 
***
 MATH FUN
 
I bought these wooden geometric solids a while back and hadn't really done anything with them.  Then I thought I could make it like a puzzle.  So I grabbed some felt and cut out the shape of the *bases* for each solid.  Then asked her to match them up.  She did terrific!  We even talked about their names and some of their other properties. 
 
And when we were done, she built "Rapunzel's" tower and kept asking her to throw down her long, yellow hair.  :)
 
***
OUTSIDE FUN

Recently, we bought a stainless steel refrigerator which took away our big magnetic surface for playing with magnets.  But since our weather has been so nice lately, I thought, duh! Our garage door is metal, let's go outside!
 
So Brook-Brook and I hung out on a blanket in the grass, while Emma played with magnets on the garage door!
 
***
 
SHAPES

Brooklyn is sitting up very well by herself now, so I can do more activities with her.  I love this stage of exploration.  Because everything is new and fascinating!
 
 
 
She gets a little frustrated with this toy, but only because she can't take the beads off and shove them in her mouth! bwhahahah.  Other than that, she will play with this for at least 15 minutes. 
 
***
 
I've been working on a texture rug for Brooklyn.  I'm using up all my leftover yarn and making pom-poms.  I'll sew them down on this piece of scrap carpet to create a very soft, fluffy, tickly rug that Brooklyn can sit or lay on and explore.  I'll post a photo when I'm finished!
 
***
 
Other than that we've just been hanging out.  With all the tragedies in the news this week, it was nice to take a moment to reflect and appreciate all that is good in our lives.  Sending prayers to all those who are suffering from the events of this week.
 
***
Thank you for all your comments last week about summer time.
 
I think what I'd like to do is focus on reading chapter books and doing fun cooking projects.  Other than that I'm just going to follow Emma's lead.  And see where her curiosity takes us.
 
 
Hope you all have a great week!
Thank you for checking in!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I love your felt board stories!!! I bet my boys would like that too!

Great post, looks like you guys are having some nice weather! Sure wish it'd warm up here.

xoxo

Wacky Woman said...

Hello Miss Emma. Love all your photos and how well you continue to do in "school" time with mama. Great big hugs going your way.

Unknown said...

Emma, love your new look! I think you should try to come up with a new look once a week. I would love to see how many you can come up with. I really enjoy seeing you with all of the outfits you have done this far.